Nokia and Microsoft have announced plans to form a broad strategic partnership that would use their complementary strengths and expertise to create a new global mobile ecosystem. The partnership according to the release made available on Nokia’s website, is aimed at creating market-leading mobile products and services designed to offer consumers, operators and developers unrivalled choice and opportunity. It is expected that Nokia and Microsoft would individually focus on their core competencies in order to create a viable opportunity for rapid time to market execution besides the integration of key assets and creating completely new service offerings, while extending established products and services to new markets.
The new plan of partnership among other things includes:
· Nokia’s adoption of Windows Phone as its principal smartphone strategy
· Nokia’s drive to empower the future of Windows Phone through its expertise on hardware design, language support.
· Nokia and Microsoft would both collaborate on joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.
· Nokia's adoption of Bing as search engine in its search services across Nokia devices and services.
· Integration of Nokia Maps as a core part of Microsoft's mapping services.
· Nokia's extensive operator billing agreements would make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.