dData Execution Prevention (DEP) is a Windows security feature that helps to prevent your computer from damage which results from virus attacks and associated computer threats. DEP is a software-based feature of Windows. Such a feature works when Malicious or unwanted program wants to run on Windows from your computer’s system memory locations which will eventually, result in causing damage to programs and files. Remember that your computer’s system memory is a dedicated area for Windows and other friendly programs. Data Execution Prevention automatically monitors programs and services on your computer guarding against any suspicious execution of codes in the system memory. When DEP notices that a certain program is suspiciously using system memory, it shuts down that particular program and sends a warning to notify you of what has happened.
It is highly recommended to keep DEP on in order to monitor program execution on your computer so that no attempt is made to execute any suspicious or incorrect codes from your system memory.
How To Change Data Execution Prevention Settings
Check whether or not DEP is compatible with some of the Programs running on your computer. If one of the programs does not run efficiently when DEP is on, check its compatibility with DEP or consult your product vendor. Alternatively, you can change DEP setting by following these steps:
· Click Start
· Click Control Panel
· Click System
· Click on Advanced System Settings on the left pane
· If you are prompted Administrator’s password, enter accordingly
· Under Performance, Click Settings
· Click DEP Tab then click Turn On DEP for all programs and services except those I select
To turn off DEP for an individual program
· Follow same procedure and select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.
· If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the .exe or the executable file for the program and then click Open.
To turn on DEP for an individual program you will need to follow procedure above and the clear the check box next to the program you want to turn DEP for. Click Ok to finish.